How can we improve Plumbago?

Save File to Dbox Then open on another device from Dbox

I would like to use the software for estimating. I meet the customer in the field, take my notes, make a sketch then save it in dropbox. I would then like to open it FROM dbox once at my desk. Then I would like my guys in the field completing the work be able to open it from dbox. We all have Plumbago installed and I get the option to open in plumbago......... But then nothing happens..............

8 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tim Chapeau shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We looked into this more and when we ported Plumbago to Universal Windows, we ran into this limitation. Unfortunately, Universal Windows does NOT allow files in other places other than LocalState or Documents and Settings.

I think for your issue here, OneDrive with a common username would be the way to go. That would also allow syncing and things you wouldn't get with DropBox.

Plumbago Team

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Smart idea on how to use Plumbago. :)

Our recommended sharing method is OneDrive which gives a straight pipeline / syncing process. However, I was curious on how the DB implementation would work so I tried to set it up and see what is happening. Here is how it looks like you are doing this ... I am guessing you create a notebook then go to this file location to upload the file to drop box:
    C:\Users\**username**\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.PlumbagoaMicrosoftGarageProject_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState

Then you open it in drop box and Plumbago opens but you don't see that specific notebook in Plumbago. I tried it and I see the same thing that you do. That notebook is not opening. That is a bug that will be addressed in the next quality update release (which isn't far off).

One caveat though with that route - you open and save it there and you have to use it there. If you are offline, then you won't have access to DB and won't be able to save. If you want to use a method that allows offline editing and then syncing, I would recommend setting up a OneDrive share that will allow you to do this.

Good luck,
    Plumbago Team

Feedback and Knowledge Base