How can we improve Photos Companion?

No option in Photos desktop for "Import> from mobile over wifi"

in Photos desktop there is no option for "from mobile over wifi" under the Import menu. I have the latest Photos app, latest Windows 10 version. Only "from a folder" and "From a USB device" are present in Import.

42 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

NJ E shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bujji commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem as "Some Guy". The metadata is gone. We need the date taken . Also, an ability to select all and remove from device after import will be great!.

• Some Guy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Photos appear to lose their metadata as they are imported. Their "Date Taken" gets lost and replaced with the date imported. Also, Right Click/File info only works the first attempt after the app is launched. Subsequent attempts show no data.

• Arthur Boss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My recommendation is that in the Companion app guide the users to check the settings in the photo app in the computer, so that we can activate the option if not activated.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I select photos I want to transfer, many images are also marked by themselves, which I did not intend to send, and on some pictures I chose, the selection disappears.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well Melinda, I've done all your suggestions and still there is no option. Too bad. It's no longer my default image app

• AdminMelinda Knight (Admin, Microsoft Garage) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for commenting and helping each other out! Yes ... the latest build is rolling out to everyone via the Microsoft Store now. If you don't see it when you go to Settings in the Microsoft Photos app, head to the Store to check for updates.

After you've updated ... if you STILL don't see the feature ... go ahead and close and reopen your app. Then you should see the toggle to "enable mobile transfer over Wi-Fi".

Thanks again for testing this out!

• Darrel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have version 2018.18011.13438.0 and there is no option to import from phone via WiFi.

• Rafael Uemura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Photos app in Windows 10 must be version 2018.18011.13110.0 or higher. I have the same problem, mine is running 2017.39101.16720 and there is no way to force an update, we have to wait until the update is rolled out to stores in other countries.

Feedback and Knowledge Base